Sunday, June 30, 2013

Leek and Goat Cheese Quiche with Sprouted Spelt Crust

Spring cleaning is one of the best feelings to me. I feel lighter, more free, and funny enough more grateful for the belongings I decide to keep. I wish I had time to spring clean every month. Even just writing that down inspires me to have a 2013 Monthly Spring Cleaning Goal. Ahhh, it just sounds clean.

I have (clearly) been on this kick for some time now and it doesn't look like it's going anywhere. I have wanted to clear out items in our apartment "storage" room, items in my bedroom and especially items in the kitchen. I get antsy when I've had the same jar of grains sitting in my pantry for more than a few months. Or that jar of marinara sauce I regret buying. Especially the raisins that weren't organic but I bought them anyway. I am dying to use all these items up and buy what I really want next time. And a smaller quantity. I'm not sure where I got into a rut of buying more than I need. In regards to food, home supplies, clothes --  everything! I want to live more simply. Less stuff, better quality if possible and to just enjoy simple things. Get what I need and let it be.

When I think of food and spring cleaning the first thing that comes to mind is quiche. It's the perfect vessel for all leftover items -- vegetables, cheeses, grains, meats, etc! I made this within the last month or so and it turned out to be the prettiest, easiest and maybe the best quiche I've made to date. I think I've finally perfected the proportions and am pleasantly surprised by how few eggs I have to use. As much as I love quiche, I tend to hoard my eggs. I hate the idea of dumping all of my eggs into one dish for the week! So here we are. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. Remember, switch out the ingredients for whatever you have on hand! You can add lots of extra ingredients or just keep it to a few like this one. You can use a store bought crust or make your own... the possibilities are endless!








Sprouted Spelt Flour Crust
Makes two pie crusts
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen Cookbook

21/2 cups organic sprouted spelt flour
1 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons organic ghee (or butter), very cold
1/4 cup ice cold water

Using the dough blade for a food processor, combine flour and salt in the food processor and pulse to combine. Dice the cold Ghee and sprinkle into the flour mixture. Pulse to combine. Gradually add cold water one tablespoon at a time. Blend until mixtures starts to get crumbly and stick together.

Knead the dough a few times and then form it into ball and let chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Halve the dough and freeze the rest for later. Once ready, roll out the dough into a large round. Be sure to flour the counter and rolling pin to prevent sticking.

Press dough into pie dish and bake at 350 for 10-15 min until lightly browned.




Leek and Goat Cheese Quiche
Serves 6-8
Adapted from Eat Live Run

2 Leeks, halved and outer layers discarded
Goat Cheese, a few ounces
1 Red bell pepper 
2 Large eggs
Milk, 1 1/4 cup
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh herbs (or dried) 
Knob of Ghee

Saute leeks in Ghee until soft. Slice pepper into thin slivers. Beat eggs and milk, season with salt and pepper. Chop the fresh herbs. 

Spread leeks onto the baked crust. Layer the red pepper strips. Sprinkle fresh or dried herbs. Crumble small chunks of goat cheese. Pour egg and milk mixture on top and sprinkle another layer of goat cheese if necessary. 

Bake in the bottom of an oven at 350 for an hour or until set. Cover with foil if browning too much. 

This is great with a simple side salad or over a bed of microgreens. Eat and Enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. This looks deliciously awesome, and your photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Yeay! Yeay! Someone left me a message! ; )